What’s the best dog cooling mat? Taking a look at top 5 choices

It’s that time of year – pet owners are looking for any way to help their canine companions beat the summer heat. Some dogs enjoy a trip to the lake for a swim, but how do you help a dog that doesn’t enjoy the water? Purchasing the best dog cooling mat is a great way to give Fido an escape from the sun.

Top Best Dog Cooling MatsIt’s very important to do your best to keep your dog cool when the mercury rises. Did you know that dogs can suffer from heat related illnesses just like humans? If your pet is left outside during warm weather without the proper supplies, heat exhaustion or heat stroke could be a very real threat.

It’s best to leave your dog inside if possible, and air condition would be great too. If you have no other options, you can leave your pet outside, but he needs adequate shelter from the sun and plenty of fresh water! Leaving him the best dog cooling mat in a shady area would be ideal.

What’s the Best Dog Cooling Mat? Top 5 Choices

1 The Green Pet Shop Self-Cooling Pet Pad

best dog cooling matThis impressive self-cooling pet pad from The Green Pet Shop requires no electricity, refrigeration or water to provide a cooling effect for your dog. It’s good for up to three hours of constant use! It takes only 15-20 minutes to “recharge,” and it is reactivated by the weight of your dog. As he or she lies down, the pad automatically starts it cooling effect.

This best dog cooling mat folds, making it easy to transport or store. Cleaning it is a breeze due to its vinyl cover. It is non-toxic, meaning it is safe for pets and people. Customers seem to really appreciate that this mat does not require water or any messiness to activate, making it extremely easy to use. In fact, it is ready to use as soon as it comes out of the box!

Don’t just trust our review! Check out more reviews from other pet owners

Video: Top 100 Funny Animals Vines 2015 - Vine compilation - Best Viners

Dogs (and other pets) love this best dog cooling mat during the heat of the day or to sleep on overnight, as it keeps them cool and comfortable. Dogs that prefer to lay on hard tile over carpet, trading comfort for coolness, can have the best of both worlds with this product. If your dog tends to chew or destroy things around your home, you may not want to leave The Green Pet Shop Self-Cooling Pet Pad accessible when you are not around to monitor. Obviously, it can be torn up (as most things can) by bored dogs.

Some customers claim this product does not work at all, expecting it to be ice cold to the touch, which is impossible and not the goal of this product. The gel pad inside the mat may shrink after storage, according to a few pet owners. Others have not had this issue and are able to use it for years without any problems.

PROS:
  • Requires no electricity, refrigeration or water to provide a cooling effect for your dog
  • Works for up to 3 hours of continuous use
  • “Recharges” in 15-20 minutes
  • Folds up for easy transport
  • Vinyl cover makes for easy cleaning
CONS:
  • Not suitable for chewers
  • Some pet owners said the gel pad inside the mat shrank over time

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “Originally bought “Large” size for my Golden but since she wasn’t able to stretch out bought another in “XL” and put the other in a different room. While my Golden has been on her bed throughout the summer I was very surprised to see that both of my cats love it as well. These mats have stood up to being subjected to claws, rough play, being stepped on and still look brand new…”

2K&H Cool Bed III Cooling Dog Bed

best dog cooling matSimply add water to this bed so that your dog can experience the cooling effect it offers! No electricity or refrigeration is needed to activate, as the unique cool core from K&H diverts liquid for its cooling power. This best dog cooling mat has a nylon/vinyl exterior that is tough and can be used both indoors and out.

If you’re planning to use this best dog cooling mat outdoors, the company recommends using it in the shade, as the bed uses the outside (or room) temperature to cool the dog. Dogs love this cooling bed, and pet owners highly recommend the product, especially for dogs that have arthritis, get overheated easily or simply need a cool place to lay on a hot summer day!

Dogs are able to sleep more comfortably and definitely prefer it to the cold tile floor, as it resembles a water bed. The K&H Cool Bed III Cooling Dog Bed is also said to be very durable, lasting for years and years. Pet owners can appreciate the fact that this bed does not include any gel, as it only uses water to keep a cooler temperature.

Because it gets quite heavy when full of water, it is not easy to transport around. Rather than moving the bed to different rooms, it may be easier to buy more than one. If your dog is a chewer, don’t leave him unsupervised with this bed (or anything, for that matter!). Although it is extremely durable, heavy chewers may be able to chew through the material.

PROS:
  • No refrigeration or electricity required for cooling effect
  • Has a nylon/vinyl exterior that is durable and can be used both indoors and outside
  • Many pet owners state that this best lasts for many years
CONS:
  • Requires water for cooling process
  • This best dog cooling mat is very heavy when full of water, making it difficult to transport
  • Not suitable for chewers

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “I have an 8 month old Lab pup who is usually too warm during the day. He slept on the bathroom tile before we got this bed a week ago. He was gradually using the Cool Bed more and more. Then, he thought it would be amusing to pull the stopper out. He put his head under the corner of the bed, found the tab, removed the stopper, and let loose about a gallon of water. Fortunately, I was home at the time and heard the sound. I called the manufacturer and they are sending a new stopper for free…”

3Coleman Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad Mat

best dog cooling matAvailable in blue, silver, green and red, the Coleman Comfort Gel Pad is a great, lightweight option for pet owners looking to keep their dog cooler throughout the hottest times of the year. This best dog cooling mat stays 5-10 degrees cooler than room temperature, does not require refrigeration or electricity and features non-toxic gel inside.

The company suggests using this pet bed alone, in a pet bed, or in a pet carrier to keep your dog(s) cool and happy! Dogs and pet owners both love these mats, and pet owners often end up ordering more than one. Customers appreciate how easy it is to wipe clean and its overall durability.

Dogs are able to cool down quicker after walks or being outside, and they are able to sleep without overheating or becoming uncomfortable. Customers say the Coleman Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad Mat is great whether being used indoors or outdoors, as it is always cooler than its surroundings.

Some people mention that the pad is smaller than they expected, so be sure to pay attention to the size, which is listed in the product description. That being said, dogs don’t seem to mind, even if it is too small for them, as they still lay on it and enjoy the cooling effect it has!

PROS:
  • Stays 5-10 degrees cooler than room temperature
  • Does not require refrigeration or electricity
  • Gel on the inside is non-toxic
  • Easy to use

Video: What Reptile Pet Is Best For You?! 5 Weird Animal Facts

CONS:
  • Some buyers thought the pad was smaller than expected, so be sure to pay attention to the size

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review + PHOTO): “I have a pug and a toy fox terrier/chihuahua mix and they absolutely love this thing. I just leave it sitting on the living room floor and they gravitate towards it when they need to cool down (and sometimes fight over it). Both fit simultaneously if they are in the mood for sharing the space…”

4Hugs Pet Products Chilly Mat Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Mat

best dog cooling matThis best dog cooling mat contains pressure-activated cooling gel, which keeps pets comfortable without refrigeration, adding water or electricity. It is available in three sizes (medium, large, and extra-large), and works great in your pet’s bed or kennel. This cooling mat from Hugs Pet Products is lightweight and portable, and it is made for indoor and outdoor use.

The non-toxic gel can put pet owners’ minds at ease, especially when purchasing for a dog that tends to chew. If your pet has joint pain, this product is worth looking in to for the extra comfort it provides. Pet owners are happy with this purchase, as it does a great job of keeping their pet(s) cool and comfortable for hours and hours!

Customers are happy with the puncture-resistant material, and most claim that even sharp nails can’t pierce the fabric. Dogs tend to seek out the Hugs Pet Products Chilly Mat Comfort Cooling Get Pet Mat. Owners claim they choose to lay on them over any other location. The great price makes it a no-brainer to buy more than one, rather than dragging the mat from room to room so your dog has a cool place to lie while spending time with the family!

best dog cooling matMost of the negative reviews are from pet owners whose pets chewed these mats while unsupervised or punctured them with their nails. As previously mentioned, the material is supposed to be puncture-proof, so be sure to keep your pet’s nails trimmed and always supervise your pets if they tend to chew. Other customers mentioned that they were unhappy with the length of time this mat stayed cool.

PROS:
  • Contains pressure-activated cooling gel that is non-toxic
  • No refrigeration, water or electricity needed
  • Lightweight and easily portable – great for indoor or outdoor use
  • Made with puncture resistant material
CONS:
  • Some owners mentioned that this best dog cooling mat did not stay cool as long as they thought it would
  • Because it is supposed to be made with puncture resistant material, dog owners were understandably disappointed if their dog was able to chew it

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “When I came across this gel mat I thought it was the right size for my dog but I was reluctant to order it because of the low rating. I read the 3 reviews, first lady was upset it didn’t come with instructions!?!! Second lady complained her puppy chewed it. (puppies tend to chew things). Third lady said her dogs had no use for the mat, OK all dogs are different.My older Maltipoo loves it…”

5Arf Pets Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad for Kennels, Crates and Beds

best dog cooling matThis low-cost, high-quality mat from Arf Pets is lightweight, safe, easy to clean and much more! Its cooling effects last for three hours and then recharges in only 15-20 minutes without electricity, water, or refrigeration. It absorbs dogs’ body heat and keeps them cool with its gel interior.

This best dog cooling mat can be used indoors and outside. Its nylon construction is ideal for health or environmentally conscious customers, as well as those looking for an easy-to-clean option. Not only do pet owners love how satisfied their pets are with this product, they also love how easy it is to move (it is lightweight and folds up nicely) and clean (especially helpful for dogs that drool!).

Dogs that are constantly hot or panting to stay cool are able to enjoy the coolness that the Arf Pets Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad for Kennels, Crates and Beds offers. The gel provides extra comfort in the form of cushion for older dogs or dogs with arthritis or other painful bone and joint conditions.

best dog cooling matAs with any item, be sure to supervise your pet when this mat is out. Although it is difficult to puncture, it is possible, especially when chewed on or stabbed with sharp nails. That being said, if you have a young puppy, you definitely want to think twice about leaving him or her alone with this mat.

PROS:
  • No water, electricity or refrigeration needed
  • Cooling effects last up to 3 hours and this best dog cooling mat “recharges” in under 20 minutes
  • Can be used indoors or outside
CONS:
  • Is not suitable for puppies or adult dogs that like to chew

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review + PHOTO): “I live in Arizona and I don’t know *why* this is the first I thought about getting this for my now 11 year old Beagle. Duh! He absolutely loves it. We will go for a long walk and then we put the cooling mat in his favorite place and he always goes and lays down on it…”

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts